Shoulder of Mutton
The Shoulder of Mutton was an inn at Smithy Holme bearing a 1739 date stone with the initials WH LH indicating that William Houlroyd (the original spelling of William's surname) built the property which exists today although the name Smithy Holme was first recorded in 1670.
Holroyds continued to live at Smithy Holme until at least 1900 but were recorded as being farmers.
In 1785 Joseph Houlroyd the elder "clothier and farmer of Grange House, Smithy Holme" had brewing vessels and one barrel listed in his inventory of assets attached to his will and Joseph Holroyd, "keeper if the Shoulder of Mutton at Smithy Holme" listed brewing vessels in his 1836 will.
The inn closed for business around 1845.